8.11.2016

Simple Food: Brownies from scratch


E and I have a sweet spot for chocolate, especially in cookies and brownies. It's no secret that we love to share a cookie or two first thing in the morning.

After we used up all the boxed brownie mixes - as convenient as they are I'm glad to be rid of them - I riffed off my latest obsession of online recipes. And boy am I glad I did because these babies are a hundred times better than their boxed counterparts. 



While they still are what they are - a delicious, sugar laden dessert - I like to think of them as slightly better than their store bought opponents (but only slightly). Made from scratch they are perfect for snacking on during the afternoon (Mommy) hangry moment.



BROWNIES

  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
½ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
3 eggs
¼ cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions: 

Preheat oven 350 degrees (cook time about 35 minutes)

Lightly grease a pan and set aside

Combine the dry ingredients (take a picture ha ha) in a large bowl. 


Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Carefully mix the batter with a wooden spoon. This part was super easy, as the dough was on the moist side and required hardly any effort to stir. 


Pour into the prepared pan and bake about 35 minutes (ovens will vary - with a heating element going out, mine is on the cooler side)



I baked my brownies in a rectangular pan slightly smaller than the normal 9x13. This made for thicker brownies, which I don't mind at all.  


E sure enjoyed the spoon. What's your favorite dessert? 


5 comments:

  1. I never had brownies with cinnamon...looks good! Your daughter is cute!! Thanks for joining the #seasonalbloghopjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were divine! Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy! Who doesn't like brownies??

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! My sweet tooth has never met a chocolate dessert that it didn't like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home made is always best. Brownies are indeed a sweet treat but I've never made them with cinnamon in them. Your little taste tester is adorable! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading, hope you have a wonderful day!
Best,
Bibi